I had a bag of cranberries leftover from Christmas hangin’ out in my freezer. I used some of them to make this cranberry bread, but had a few leftover and decided to make some muffins. Might I say they were pretty tasty. I couldn’t stop eating them- they were that good. They freeze well also. Just pop one in the toaster oven for a bit and voila- fresh muffin!
- CRANBERRY MUFFINS
(adapted from this cooks.com recipe)
- 2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
1/2 c butter
2/3 c buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 c whole cranberries, coarsely chopped
1-2 T brown sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
1. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or use paper liners. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Measure the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it is the texture of coarse cornmeal. Remove 1/2 c of this mixture and set aside in a small bowl.
3. Make a well in the center of the remaining mixture. Add the buttermilk and egg to the well and mix until flour is moistened. Don’t overmix or you’ll end up with tough muffins.
4. Fold in the chopped cranberries. Divide the batter equally in the muffin tin. I filled the cups almost to the top.
5. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon into the reserved muffin mix. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the top of each muffin. (Don’t skimp! This is the best part. 😀 )
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.