I found this recipe a while back and bookmarked it. I finally got around to making it. They weren’t too bad, but it wasn’t as spectacular as I was hoping it would be. I think it was the “creamy” marinara sauce. I like ricotta cheese, but it gave the sauce a grainy texture. Not quite my definition of creamy. I also should have been a little more liberal with the mozzarella. Maybe next time. Regardless, this was a fun way to eat lasagna and was easy to serve since the filling was wrapped up nicely in the noodle. I may try to make another lasagna using this method.
- Shrimp Lasagna Rolls w/ Creamy Marinara
(I halved the recipe- so those are the measurements I’m gonna give you. For the full recipe, follow the link above to …and a cookie for dessert’s post)
- 1/2 lb lasagna noodles (not the no boil kind- I used 6 noodles)
1 T olive oil
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined (I cheated and used frozen shrimp)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 15 oz container skim ricotta, divided
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 t nutmeg
1-2 c marinara (I used about 1/2 a bottle of Barilla)
2/3 c grated mozzarella (I’d use more next time)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cook lasagna noodles about 1-2 mins less than the package directions indicate. They’ll cook a little more in the oven and you don’t want them to get mushy. Drain.
3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp and garlic to the pan and season with salt & pepper. Remove once the shrimp are cooked and set aside to cool.
4. In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix 1 c of the ricotta, the Parmesan cheese, egg and nutmeg. Season with a big pinch of salt and some pepper if you’re so inclined. Coarsely chop shrimp and add to the cheese mixture.
5. Combine the marinara and the rest of the ricotta in a separate bowl.
6. To assemble, cover the bottom of a square baking dish with half the sauce mixture. Lay the noodles flat on your work surface. Spread about 1/4 c of the shrimp/cheese mixture evenly over each noodle. Roll the noodles and set in the pan, seam side down. Cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle the mozzarella on top. Bake until bubbly and the cheese is melted, about 25 mins.