I made these chicken parm bundles for dinner the other night. They were pretty tasty, but kind of a pain for me to make. I made my own pizza dough and it wasn’t cooperating with me very well. I think it might have been too cold. I also didn’t cut my squares very well. They turned out more like rectangles which proved a little awkward when I was trying to “bundle” up the filling. I had leftover filling for the next night so instead of making more bundles, I just used the filling as pizza topping. Both were delicious, but making it in pizza form was so much easier. And it was cheesier. 🙂
- Chicken Parm Bundles
(adapted from this Rachael Ray recipe– apparently these were the winner of the show’s office cook-off)For the bundles:
2 T olive oil
1/2 lb ground chicken
1/2 small onion, chopped– Chris doesn’t like onions, so I cut down on the amount
1 clove garlic, minced
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes– it doesn’t say to, but I drained mine
1/4 c flat leaf parsley, chopped and divided
2 t dried oregano, divided
2 T dried basil, divided
salt & pepper
1/4 c shredded mozzarella
1/2 c grated Parmigiano Reggiano, divided
1 lb pizza dough– there was no weight given, just said 1 pizza dough
little bit of milk– I omitted the egg, seemed wasteful to me and they turned out fine
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over med-hi heat. Add the ground chicken and cook until lightly browned. Once the chicken is browned, add the onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add the diced tomato, half the parsley, half the oregano and half the basil. Salt and pepper to taste (be careful not to add too much salt because the cheese you’ll add is already salty).
2. Cook the mixture for 4-5 mins to allow it to thicken. Remove from the heat and add the mozzarella and 1/4 c of the grated parm. Stir until melted. Set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, sprinkle your work surface with flour and roll your dough into a 12″ x 10″ rectangle (mine was half this size). Cut the rectangle in half lengthwise. Cut each strip lengthwise to give you 4 long strips. Cut all the strips in half widthwise. Cut each rectangle in half again to give you 16 squares.
4. Pour about 1/2 T of milk into a small cup or bowl. Place a heaping tablespoon of cooled filling into the middle of each square of dough. Brush the edges of the squares with milk. Fold the sides inward, one at a time towards the filling, like you would if you were closing a box. Pinch the seam shut. Place the bundles on a non-stick baking sheet (I sprayed mine with cooking spray), seam side down.
5. In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining parsley, oregano, basil and parm. Mix to combine. Brush the tops of each bundle with milk and sprinkle with the cheese/herb mixture. Bake for about 12-15 mins or until golden brown.
For the pizza:
chicken parm filling from above recipe
extra shredded mozzarella
1. Roll pizza dough to desired size. Partially bake or grill dough. I grilled my dough, but I’d imagine a 400 degree oven would work fine.
2. Cover one side of the dough with the chicken filling. Sprinkle mozzarella and cheese/herb mixture over the filling. Finish baking or grilling the pizza.
3. Serve hot.