I braved the heat and baked this past weekend. I’ve been avoiding turning the oven on unless absolutely necessary because it’s been so stinkin’ hot. I saw these cupcakes though and they looked so yummy and easy to make that I turned the oven on. And after the first bite, I didn’t regret it one bit.
The frosting melted a little bit because it was so hot. 😐
Some purists may be anti cake mix, but I’ll use one on occasion. This is a super easy, really yummy recipe. They tasted even better the next day cold out of the fridge.
I’ve made these strawberry cupcakes as well which were also yummy. Alas, no post of those because I took no pictures. Maybe one of these days I’ll do a taste test between these two recipes and see if the homemade cupcakes beat out the mix cupcakes.
- This recipe makes 24 cupcakes
- For the Cupcakes:
- 1 package white cake mix
1 3 oz package strawberry flavored gelatin
1 c finely chopped strawberries
3/4 c milk
3/4 c vegetable oil
- For the frosting:
- 1 c heavy whipping cream
1 8 oz package cream cheese
3/4 c granulated sugar– I only used about 1/2 c and it tasted fine
1 t strawberry flavoring
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350. Line the muffin cups with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, blend all of the cupcake ingredients with a mixer on low for about 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix the batter on low for another 2 minutes, scraping the bowl as needed.
3. Divide the batter evenly between the 24 cups, about 3/4 of the way full. Bake the cupcakes for about 20-25 minutes.
4. Cool the baked cupcakes in the pans for about 5 minutes. Then remove the cupcakes to a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
5. In a medium sized bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. In a separate medium sized bowl, whip the cream cheese, sugar and flavoring together until the sugar is completely incorporated (it shouldn’t have a grainy feel to it anymore). Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
The frosting is not thick enough to pipe- even if you refrigerate it. I overcooked my cupcakes a little because I forgot to put the timer on, but they still came out really moist and delicious. I thought the gelatin would give it a weird flavor, but that wasn’t the case. Yummy cupcakes. Try them! 😀