Originally, I was going to make my mom’s pumpkin cupcakes, but for as much butter as the recipe uses, I only got 15 – 18 cupcakes per batch. I was looking a recipe that would give me more bang for my buck and Martha came through for me. I like my mom’s pumpkin cupcakes better than these, but this recipe makes a ginormous amount of cupcakes in comparison. Martha’s were a little egg-y for me. They’re good, just not as good as mom’s. 😉
- Martha Stewart’s Pumpkin Cupcakes
She says this recipe makes 18…I easily got 30
- 2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t coarse salt
1 t cinnamon– I used 2 1/2 t of cinnamon
1 t ground ginger– omitted
1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg– omitted
1/4 t ground allspice– omitted
1 c packed light brown sugar
1 c sugar
1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1. Line muffin tins with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (excluding the sugars). Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars, butter and eggs. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the pumpking puree.
3. Divide the batter evenly among the liners, filling about halfway. Bake at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c (4 T) butter, softened
1 t vanilla
4 c powdered sugar
1 – 2 T milk to thin if necessary
- 1. Beat the cream cheese and butter until thoroughly mixed and light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Beat the powdered sugar in, one cup at a time. If the frosting is too thick, thin with a bit of milk.
I had my husband testing the frosting for me to gauge sweetness. For some odd reason, he thought I was making buttercream so he kept telling me to add more sugar. As a result, the frosting was super sweet. Much sweeter than what I normally make. If you don’t like sweet cream cheese frosting either, cut the sugar in half.
I also omitted most of the spices from the cupcakes because I know some picky people that don’t like “fancy pants” flavors. So I figured sticking with just the cinnamon would be a safe bet. I personally liked them better with all the spices.