These were my most favorite of the 3 and also happen to be one of my all-time favorite cupcakes. I love cheesecake. I love cupcakes. These are an obvious given when it comes to my favorites.
I used Amy Sedaris’ vanilla cupcake recipe for these cupcakes as well. The filling and crunch topping came from Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans.
- Vanilla Cheesecake Cupcakes
makes 30 – 36 cupcakes
- For the topping:
- 1/2 c flour
1/3 c packed light brown sugar
1/8 t salt
2 T unsalted butter, melted
- For the filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temp
1/4 c sugar
1 egg, at room temp
1 t finely grated lemon zest
1 T lemon juice
1/2 t vanilla
- For the cupcakes:
(I used Amy Sedaris’ vanilla cupcake recipe)
- 2 1/2 c flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 c) unsalted butter at room temp
1 3/4 c sugar– I only used 1 1/3 c sugar
2 t vanilla
1 1/4 c milk
- 1. Make the topping first. Stir the flour, brown sugar and salt together in a medium sized bowl. Add the melted butter and stir until crumbs form. Set aside.
2. Make the filling next. Cream the sugar and cream cheese together until smooth. Beat in the egg until blended. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla, mixing until blended. Set aside.
3. To make the cupcakes, combine the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk, beating until well mixed.
4. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of batter into the baking cups. Spoon about 1 – 2 tablespoons of cream cheese filling over the batter. Sprinkle the tops with the crumb mixture. Bake at 350 for 18 – 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
These are best eaten the same day you make them, but they still taste okay the next few days when stored in an airtight container.